Monday 23 August 2010

Day 12: Jaipur
day started with rain, again
It was supposed to be a rest day, a tourism day; I did almost no sightseeing but got exhausted. I just cycled around the old city, taking pictures (so forgive today’s breaking of the ‘couple per day’ limit) and eating snacks.
cycle repair district

I got as far as the ticket booth for the City Palace, Jaipur’s No.1 tourist attraction, but a combination of worry about leaving my bike unattended for several hours, not being in the mood, and not wanting to shell out Rs.300 meant the booth was as far as I got. I chatted with some tourists about cycling (whenever anyone asks if I recommend cycling around India I hesitate for … well, for ever, really, don’t commit to an answer either way).
Jaipur is full of great (pink) buildings; Hawa Mahal is one of the best

So I spent my money on a kulfi ice cream and the permission to photograph some snake charmers.
kulfi sellers (and eaters)


feeding cows and birds is another (local) tourist attraction

The whole day now makes me wonder if the 200+km detour to Agra will be worth it if I’ll just hang around outside taking photos.

One thing nice about Jaipur is the large number of Indian tourists (probably because it is only 230km from Delhi and therefore possible as a day trip by bus): makes it feel ok to be a tourist.tourists eating kulfi

No comments:

Post a Comment